A MIND AT PLAY
My latest piece for Skeptical Inquirer looks at the long history of false claims of child endangerment. The stimulus for this piece was the recent accusation of liberal pedophilia raised by the QAnon movement, but throughout history, claims of child abuse have been leveled against the opponents of social movements. Unfortunately, these false claims have the potential to harm children rather than help them.
For those who missed my recent Stonington Free Library talk, “Superstition: A Very Short Introduction,” it is now available on YouTube. I actually went to the library to give the talk, but the audience was on Zoom. Sometime soon I hope we can return to live events with wine and cheese receptions and book signings. For now, this will have to suffice.
That’s all I have for you at the moment.
I am happy to report that, thanks to my advanced age and the fact that I live in Connecticut, I am now fully vaccinated. I hope you all get vaccinated very soon. I don’t think things will every be exactly as they were before the pandemic, but we are getting closer to a much better world. I can’t wait!
- QAnon & Upcoming Events
- A New Year
- Philadelphia Talk & Thanksgiving
- Friday the 13th & Philadelphia Critical Thinking Talk
- Halloween, British Museum Magazine, and James Randi
- The Free Market & Some Sad News
- COVID-19 and the Tyranny of Now
- Brazilian Skeptics & COVID, Superstition on BBC Radio 4, British Museum, & Spanish Translation
- Audiobook, Autism research, & the Cheltenham Science Festival